How to Apply for Spouse Visa (spousal sponsorship) for Canada
Published at December 12th, 2021 9:40 am | Posted by Admin
If you are looking for a country to settle down with your family and enjoy a high standard of living, then you must relocate to Canada. A spousal visa allows permanent residents and citizens to sponsor their family members to acquire permanent residency in Canada. It is the most popular immigration program in the country. Thousands of individuals apply for Canadian spousal visas annually.
Before we understand how to apply for a spousal visa, let us understand what exactly it is all about.
The spousal visa is a sub-category of the family immigration visa. This visa allows the residents of the country to sponsor their better halves for permanent residency in Canada.
Eligibility criteria of a Canadian spousal visa:
- The sponsor must be over the age of eighteen.
- They must be a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.
- They must be residing in Canada (The sponsor will not be able to sponsor their spouse if they are living outside the country).
- They must prove that they are not receiving any social assistance apart from disability aid.
- Must prove to the IRCC that they can provide for their spouse or partner financially.
- If they reside in Quebec, they must be required to fulfill Quebec’s conditions for sponsorship.
Criteria of spouse:
- Must be eighteen years of age and above.
- They should be legally married or must be in a common-law relationship.
- They must have a marriage certificate that has been issued either by the state, province or territory if they have done their wedding in Canada.
- If they got married outside the country, then their marriage should be valid as per the laws of the country they got married at.
- If they have got married in the Canadian embassy or consulate, it should be valid as per country laws.
- The spouse should not have any prior criminal charges, offences or suffer from any serious medical condition.
The processing time for a spousal visa
Below-mentioned is the time it takes for the spousal visa to get processed by the Canadian embassy:
- The approximate processing takes around 12 months.
The processing time is based on how long the immigration department of Canada takes to complete processing the applications in the last twelve months. However, if there is information missing in the application, the IRCC can return it or even delay processing the visa application.
Get in touch with Star Immigration expert consultants for end-to-end spousal sponsorship advice.