Can I turn my tourist visa into a student visa in Canada?

Can I turn my tourist visa into a student visa in Canada?

Canada is one of the most beautiful countries to visit for its picturesque forests, lakes, parks, and monuments. Additionally, the country is also home to well-renowned colleges and universities that attract almost 150,000 international students annually. So, suppose you are visiting the country and decide to pursue your education by extending your stay to complete your education. In that case, you can convert your visitor visa into a student visa.

According to the Canadian government and IRCC, for an individual to study in the country:

  • They must have a legal status
  • The should have a study permit

Most international students who come to the country to study primarily consist of students who wish to learn the English language. They stay in the country for up to six months. Ideally, these students do not need to acquire a student visa; their visitor visa is more than sufficient. Suppose they choose to extend their stay in the country to complete their higher education at a Canadian university or college. In that case, they need to apply for a student visa if they have gotten admission from a Canadian university/college. Additionally, it is recommended that they have completed the IELTS, TOEFL or other English exams during their first semester and the college or university they've enrolled in.

They must also provide their academic transcripts from the language school, including bank statements on the source of income to the immigration officer. The minimum amount of money that the individual should possess in the account should be similar to the university's academic year. The income in your account should also take care of their accommodation and day-to-day living expenses.

Suppose you need more time at your language school as you have not reached the required language level to study at a Canadian university or college. In that case, you can apply for a study permit by stating the new dates of the language programme. A piece of advice would be to attach a letter of admission from said college/university that mentions you will be granted admission once you have reached the desired language level to attend college/university. This confirms your educational plans in the country and extends your stay in the country for much longer. It is also vital that you know the expiry status of your visitor visa and study permit to ensure that you apply for an extension. Once the Canadian government has approved your study permit, you can apply for a student visa.

For further enquiries or to schedule an initial appointment, give Star Immigration a ring today.

Recent Blogs